Serves 4 - 6
1kg Boneless leg or shoulder lamb cut into 2cm cubes
1˝ teaspoons Maharajah’s Choice Ground Turmeric
2 tablespoons Maharajah’s Choice Ground Coriander
2 teaspoons Maharajah’s Choice Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Maharajah’s Choice Chilli Powder
4 tablespoons Oil
3 large onions
12 Maharajah’s Choice curry leaves
2 teaspoons Seven Seas minced garlic
1 tablespoon Seven Seas minced ginger
600ml Monika coconut milk
1 tablespoon Maharajah’s Choice Tamarind puree
1 teaspoon Maharajah’s Choice Ground Fennel
1 Maharajah’s Choice Cinnamon stick
6 Maharajah’s Choice Cardamom pods
Salt to taste
- Rub the cubed lamb with ground turmeric
- Roast the ground Coriander and cumin in a dry frying pan until aromatic – approx 2 minutes on low heat. (do not add chilli powder).
- Chop onions and put in blender with a little oil to blend to a puree.
- Place onion puree into frying pan and fry over low heat until dry – approx 10 minutes.
- Mix the minced garlic and onion and add spices and six curry leaves. Add chilli powder.
- Add ground fennel and garlic/spice mixture to the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the meat and mix well then fry until meat starts to become firm.
- Add 500ml of coconut milk and bring to the boil stirring occasionally – reduce a little
- Mix the tamarind with 125ml hot water and cool.
- When the meat and sauce has reduced a little add remaining coconut milk, cinnamon stick cardamom pods and salt. Cover pan and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- When meat is tender add tamarind puree and check seasoning. Stir well and add remaining 6 curry leaves to garnish
- Serve with boiled rice and accompaniments